New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 

brian_t
Rookie PC Builder

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  09:51:23 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I am thinking about doing a new gaming build this year (either i5 or i7), and have been following the news on Ivy Bridge. Seems the first round of Ivy Bridge desktop CPU's will be released later this month.

From what I have read, these are mainly a boost for the GPU side of the processors, and will have only a minor boost to CPU processing. Since I use a discrete GPU for gaming, the GPU processing on the CPU is somewhat wasted, although with the newer chipset, some graphics processing can be 'intelligentally' transferred from the GPU card to the CPU. Not sure how much difference this will make, though ..

Given this, what do you think about:

1- The price inpact Ivy Bridge will have on Sandy Bridge CPU's. Will SB prices/demand go down or stay as they are now?

2- Is it worthwhile to go Ivy Bridge for the slight power boost and better graphics processing, but at a hight cost than SB?

Cheers!

BCMods
Advanced PC Builder

United Kingdom
2102 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  09:56:12 Show Profile Visit BCMods's Homepage Reply with Quote
I would say just go with an IB build, but that's just my opinion. Why go with last years tech?

SB prices will defiantly fall, but probably not loads, since for what you're getting, the 2500k is actually at a pretty good price, even now.

Intel i5 4670K - MSI H81M-E33 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600MHz - 1GB EVGA GTX 460 - 120GB Intel 320 - 2TB WD Red - 1TB WD Black - 1TB WD Green - TP-Link TG-3468 - OCZ ZS750 - Silverstone TJ08-E

Intel Pentium G860 - 2GB Crucial DDR3 - 3GB MSI 7950 - 80GB Maxtor - Corsair HX1050w

3x LG IPS237L - Pioneer SE-A1000 - FiiO E10 - QPAD 3202 MK-85 Pro (MX Black + Red LED) - Cyborg R.A.T 5 - OCUK Desk Mat - Blue Microphones Snowball
Go to Top of Page

brian_t
Rookie PC Builder

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  10:03:17 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BCMods
I would say just go with an IB build, but that's just my opinion. Why go with last years tech?

SB prices will defiantly fall, but probably not loads, since for what you're getting, the 2500k is actually at a pretty good price, even now.

Well, I would like to see a nice price drop for SB!

Go to Top of Page

Valis
Robotic PC Builder

Finland
42950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  10:19:29 Show Profile Reply with Quote
We haven't really seen any meaningful price drops in the past when new models have been introduced, so I don't think it's going to happen this time, either.

Proud user of IBM Model M
and Topre Realforce 88UB
Go to Top of Page

brian_t
Rookie PC Builder

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  10:45:57 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Yep, I agree Valis, although one can still hope !

One thing is certain, IB will be more expensive than SB. If CPU graphics processing is important to you then going IB would make sense. I can see this more for portable devices and the like, not so much for gaming and apps requiring beefy, discrete GPU's.

The increase in CPU processing with IB, at this point, seems to me not worth the higher price. I suppose once we have some direct comparisons between SB and IB we will be able to make a more informed decision.

Go to Top of Page

Valis
Robotic PC Builder

Finland
42950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  11:05:27 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brian_t

One thing is certain, IB will be more expensive than SB.

What's your source for this? As far as I know, you can get somewhat better CPU power for gaming with Ivy Bridge for the same price. See for example this table for a list of new CPUs, what they are replacing, and the prices are.

Proud user of IBM Model M
and Topre Realforce 88UB
Go to Top of Page

brian_t
Rookie PC Builder

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  12:01:49 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valis
quote:
Originally posted by brian_t

One thing is certain, IB will be more expensive than SB.

What's your source for this? As far as I know, you can get somewhat better CPU power for gaming with Ivy Bridge for the same price. See for example this table for a list of new CPUs, what they are replacing, and the prices are.

I checked SB prices yesterday. In Italy, you can find an i5 2500K for 180.
Link:
http://www.prokoo.com/intel-core-i52500k-33ghz-1155-sandy-bridge-unlocked-p-6638.html

I highly doubt the similiar IB i5 will start less than 200. Perhaps in a few months the prices might even out.

Edited by - brian_t on 05 Apr 2012 12:40:46
Go to Top of Page
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To:

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
© 2013 buildyourown.org.uk. All rights reserved.
Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000