Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  14:15:33 Show Profile
Hi, I just did my first build using the example budget build spec as a guide (big thanks to the help on this site)

When I turn my PC on before I get to the Windows 7 logo it says something along the lines of 'press 4 for Asus Core Unlocker'.

I don't know anything about this sort of advanced computer tweaking, but I do know I that wouldn't mind an extra core if there's one going

So am I right in thinking that this 'core unlocker' is like a simple way to try and unlock the fourth core? The thing is if anything goes wrong I won't really know how to fix it...

So should I press 4 or not? I've got an X3 450 processor.

Thanks

umyk1
Junior PC Builder

262 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  14:32:36 Show Profile
I sure thats an Asus utility for over-clocking your CPU, not unlocking another core!

EDIT: I'm wrong......read this
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/new-asus-motherboard-tries-to-unlock-hidden-cores-on-amd-processors/1711

Edited by - umyk1 on 02 Feb 2011 14:34:48
Go to Top of Page

JackSprat

United Kingdom
7780 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  14:47:59 Show Profile
Yup, it was pretty polular and recommended for a while. The chances of it working now that yields of all CPUs are up is minimal, as the X3's with an extra core were basically X4's that had either a faulty core or were bumped down to X3 to meet demand. Chances of a successful unlock are slim, but there's no harm in trying it.

Need help with graphics cards? Go here!
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  15:09:23 Show Profile
If you're saying that there's definately no harm that can come then OK I will push the button. Has anyone else here tried it or know precisely what will happen?
Go to Top of Page

umyk1
Junior PC Builder

262 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  15:22:10 Show Profile
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/10/21/asus-refines-amd-core-unlocking/1

Someone on the forum has done it succesfully.
Go to Top of Page

ITJim
Advanced PC Builder

United Kingdom
2518 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  19:04:55 Show Profile
I've recently unlocked a Phenom II x2 545 dual core to a Phenom II x4 Quad core and it's stable so it is definitely possible. Just bare in mind the newer the chip the slimmer the chance as JackSprat says.

Keep an eye on voltages and temps as sometimes the extra cores need a little more juice than the certified AMD quad cores. CPU-Z will help you with that.
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:30:31 Show Profile
I just pressed 4.

I was expecting it to take me to the bios or some other dark place but instead it just turned itself off and rebooted. Then when I got to the desktop a notification popped up to say new drivers successfully installed please restart for changes to take effect. So I restarted. Now where it used to say press 4 for Asus core unlocker it now says '4 cores are activated!!' So then I went straight to control panel/system info and it says the following:

AMD Phenom(tm)II X4 B50 Processor 3.20 GHz

Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:37:33 Show Profile
CPU-Z core voltage sits at 1.040 but every now and then it goes up to 1.2 few a few seconds. How do I check temperature and what should I be looking for? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

umyk1
Junior PC Builder

262 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:51:03 Show Profile
what Asus motherboard doy uo have?
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:59:14 Show Profile
This one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968
Go to Top of Page

ITJim
Advanced PC Builder

United Kingdom
2518 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  23:03:56 Show Profile
Coretemp is good for monitoring temps. To make sure the system is stable I would recommend running a stress test for at least a few hours. Something like the latest prime95 will do nicely. Pay close attention to the temps here for at least the first 15mins, if it goes any higher than 70-75c I would stop the stress test and undo the core unlock.
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  16:53:07 Show Profile
Thanks GuitarJim. I've done what you said and just run Prime95 (I selected the first box small FFTs, not sure why) CoreTemp gives me one reading rather than for each core. It started off at 37c and gradually began to rise as soon as I started the test. Within a couple of minutes it got to 74c so I stopped it... Then I came here to tell you about it.
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:55:08 Show Profile
I tried it again and this time and kept it on the 'blend' option which is the setting the program defaults to when you open it. I ran for half an hour this time, CoreTemp shows 100% load on each core as it did before. The first 15 minutes temperature was 73-75c the last 15 minutes was about 75-77c. It didn't go any higher than 77 but probably could have done if I left it longer. So what should I do now? Buy a new fan?

Go to Top of Page

ITJim
Advanced PC Builder

United Kingdom
2518 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  15:30:02 Show Profile
It's probably a good idea to get a new fan, the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus would be a good idea if it will fit in your case. You could also try fiddling with the core voltage if you feel confident enough. What is your max voltage read out in CPU-Z? It shouldn't really be going over 1.5v with a preferably of 1.425v or less.
Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  20:20:12 Show Profile
I don't recall it going over 1.4 it stayed around 1.37

I'm not keen on the idea of playing around with voltage settings to be honest.

I think that fan is too big for my case (330 elite). Coolermaster website says it's 15.8cm which would be really pushing it. I stuck a tape measure in my case and I could probably go 14.5cm max.

I might go with the arctic cooling freezer 13 as it looks more likely to fit

Go to Top of Page

david83
Rookie PC Builder

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  12:33:31 Show Profile
Just thought I'd update to say that I fitted the Arctic Freezer 13 and after half an hour of testing my cpu seems to settle at 59-60c with 100% load and a voltage of 1.4v

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To:

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
© 2013 buildyourown.org.uk. All rights reserved.
Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000